Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Quick...Someone Call A Plumber

My husband and I built our house the year we got married and we've lived here for fourteen years now. As you can imagine, it's starting to need certain repairs. The plumber who originally put our shower in did such a bad job, he actually flooded our master bathroom twice while we were on our honeymoon. My father-in-law was overseeing the workers while we were gone and he told us what happened. So it was no surprise when we started noticing some water issues with the shower upstairs.

Last week, while sitting at the kitchen table, I noticed some spots on the ceiling above the refrigerator. I went to stand underneath the spots and immediately determined that something upstairs was leaking, I just didn't know what. Was it the washing machine? The toilet in the kids bathroom? Or had my worst fears come true and the shower was finally leaking through? Was my whole house going to have to be renovated? (you can tell I get dramatic about these things & automatically go to the worse case scenario).

I called my husband and told him our ceiling was going to cave in because something was leaking (drama queen, right?) He didn't sound happy, but he wasn't nearly as alarmed as I thought he should be...I expected him to rush home IMMEDIATELY!

My hubby has a friend who is a plumber, who lives down the road from us. He came over the next day to look at our leak. I wasn't home when he first arrived. By the time I got to the house, they had already inspected the damage. They came down from upstairs, and walked into my kitchen...I patiently awaited the news. The Plumber and my hubby stood directly under the wet spots on the ceiling, looked at them once again, looked at me - finally my husband said
"he (meaning the Plumber) doesn't think it's a leak...he thinks it's food."
WHAT?
Now the Plumber pipes in and says "it looks like applesauce to me".
THIS CAN'T BE HAPPENING!!!

Now let's back up...I remember sometime last week, opening my refrigerator and seeing some dry, crusty substance stuck to the side of the door and all up & down the side of the fridge. I had no idea what it was or how it had gotten there, but I did what Mom's do...I cleaned up the mess that everyone else was obviously ignoring.

That brings us back to the present day of the Plumber's assessment of my leak spots. It's all becoming clear. My husband recalls my youngest son dropping some applesauce when he was getting it out of the fridge. Apparently it hit the floor hard enough to bounce up & splatter on my 9 ft. ceiling, as well as spill in the refrigerator door. No one bothered to tell me.

Can you imagine how embarrassed I was to know I needed a Plumber to come and tell me I had food stuck to my ceiling? Do you remember that I said he was a friend of my husbands and he lives down the road? So that means, he's not just some random plumber who we'll never have to see or hear from again. I just know he'll be telling this story to his friends & family for quite some time.

I guess I will too. I now have a permanent reminder of my blunder. The applesauce caused a stain on the ceiling and instead of a plumber, I now need a painter!

6 comments:

  1. Angie! LOL Well, at least it wasn't an expensive leak.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that is just too funny! Thanks for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's hilarious, Angie! I love it. I'm sure your plumber friend will laugh about it too...if not now, at some point. It is funny...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is quite funny. However, for great service and value for your plumbing and heating needs, you can count on the care, expertise and dedication you will receive from an expert plumber.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting article. Plumbing is a very important aspect in all phases of housekeeping.

    ReplyDelete