Saturday, January 1, 2011

Looking for Security in 2011


I'm back to wish all my family & friends a Happy New Year! I took a break from blogging during the Thanksgiving & Christmas Holiday because life was just too busy. I've missed blogging and keeping up with what everyone else is up too as well. Hope you had a wonderful Christmas, and wish you a blessed 2011.

My family was invited to do some things to celebrate on New Year's Eve, but I declined. I was very content to stay home with my family and watch the ball drop on t.v. We all made it until midnight except for my oldest son, he wimped out about 10 p.m., but that's okay, he's an early bird, not a late owl like me.

Earlier in the day I spent some time by myself worshiping & praying. I started thinking about 2011 and I must confess I started feeling a sense of dread about the upcoming year. So many things have happened in my life and in the world, both good & bad, that I'm overwhelmed with the feeling of "what's going to happen this year?" I've also heard many prophetic words from well known people in the "Church" who are painting a not so pretty picture of things to come, and yet, I've had personal words from the Lord about great things He wants to do in our lives??? I found myself a little anxious, so I began to pray.

I had a wonderful peace come over me as I heard in my spirit,
"Stay close to Me and you have nothing to fear. Remember, perfect love casts out fear."
Wow...so true! If I know how much God loves me, then I can trust that He has everything under control. I can rest in the palm of His hands! I had such of revelation of God's sovereignty! I have NO idea what's coming up this year, but He knows everything that's going to happen!
It's like going through a mine field with a powerful metal detector, or pushing through a crowd with a HUGE bodyguard...I am safe with Him.

It's funny, I don't expect my life to be without trouble. I'm not unrealistic about the fairytale, happily ever after existence (and no, I'm not a skeptic either). But I do find myself constantly looking for security. Something deep inside of me, and I think this is true of a lot of women, longs for someone bigger & stronger to "take care of things" so we can feel safe. This is usually a quality we looked for when we're looking for a husband. It's the same characteristic we wanted in our father, a feeling of "dad will take care of anything scary or whatever I can't handle". We may not, no, we will not always find that in another person...ultimately, what we're looking for is the security that only God can give. We have to trust Him with our lives.

I was reminded of an old Gaither song "Because He Lives" that I used to sing with Mom as a kid. The words express exactly what I'm talking about
."Because He lives, I can face tomorrow, because He lives, all fear is gone. Because I know He holds the future, and life is worth the living, just because He lives."
After midnight, my husband & I began to pray about the new year - because I had already given up my sense of dread, and exchanged it for God's peace, I was able to pray with confidence and decree good things for 2011. Things like, more of God's presence, more fruit in our lives, more self control & discipline, blessings over my children, over our finances, over our health, clarity in areas where we need to make decisions, guidance, protection, open doors to minister, and more opportunities for God's miraculous power!

So, even though I don't know what the future holds, or what 2011 will look like this time next year...I have decided to rest in the One who knows everything and who wants the best for me and my family. I pray that you & your family will do the same. Our Heavenly Father truly is a firm foundation...all else is sinking sand.

3 comments:

  1. You are so right Angie. God is always faithful and will never leave us!

    Thanks for the wonderful reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey sweet Angie. I felt fear coming over me about 2011 too. I'm sure it was because of all of the prophetic words floating around. Then I had to get a grip and remind myself of His promises. You're right, He is always with us and HE placed us HERE for such a time as this!

    I love you and your family too. I am looking forward to our future together!

    Your Sis,
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Security in God is the only true security there is. Lidj @ Crown of Beauty had the same lesson today about relying on the rock. Happy New YEar!

    ReplyDelete