We were blessed this past Sunday at Kings Park InternationalChurch to have guest speaker, Danny Cahill share his inspiring story of incredible perseverance. Danny was the 2008 winner of NBC's hit show "The Biggest Loser". He weighed a whopping 460 pounds at the beginning of his journey, but was able to lose 239 pounds in 6 1/2 months!
Danny spoke about how this was so much more than just another
weight loss testimony...
- It was a story of how God has a bigger and better plan for your life. Danny's dream of being a musician was restored, along with new open doors to travel and share his testimony.
- It's an encouraging word to everyone to never give up, even when it doesn't look like you're making progress. Danny told how on the show, he was given the task of digging a hole in the sand. After digging for quite awhile, it didn't look as if he was making progress because the sand constantly caved into the hole. Later, he reflected on how his life was very much like that hole in the sand - over the years, he'd lost weight, then gained it back, only to repeat the process over and over. He figured up the amount of weight he'd lost in his lifetime of this vicious cycle and discovered it added up to around 1,000 pounds. He thought how difficult the 239 pounds he wanted to lose seemed, but in light of the 1,000 he'd lost over time, it seemed silly how much more effort he'd spent on quitting. This particular part of his testimony really stuck out in my mind and he gave us this point that I hope I'll always remember - he said "you have to let go of your quit."
- It was a reminder that we need one another - everyone needs someone to help them through their journey - holding you accountable, being tough when necessary, and most importantly, cheering you on. Not only did Danny have the coaches on The Biggest Loser driving him to not quit, but he had his wife at home who had been praying for him. Danny said that after the show, his wife, Darci shared how she and her friends had been praying that he would become a contestant on The Biggest Loser. God then showed him ahead of time that he was going to win. But perhaps the most meaningful moment that led up to Danny's success was his 7 yr. old daughter saying she wanted to be just like her Daddy. Danny said that was the moment he got his "why" - which is the motivation we need to make us finish strong. As Danny put it "Everyone needs their 'why' and then the 'how' will follow."
Danny wanted us to know that the battle doesn't end with the weight loss - just like he has to keep fighting to maintain his weight, we have to keep going, never quit, and never go back! In order for it to really "sink in", Danny read this Scripture passage 3 times:
"Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." - Philippians 3:12-14 (NIV)
The timing of this message is perfect - as we begin 2013 let's. . .
- "Let go of our Quit"
- Find our "why" motivation
- Allow our loved ones, friends & the church to help us in our journey
- Remember Phil. 3:12-14 - forgetting the past, press on toward the future