Friday, January 28, 2011

Clean Closet - Clean Heart


I can't even tell you how many times I've had to clean out the closets in my house! We just don't have room for anymore STUFF!!! I am running out of places to hide things, or tuck them away when guests come over.

My husband gets so frustrated sometimes, because he will put things on the kitchen counter, in the hallway, or dining room, and I will remove them immediately because I can't stand clutter. I've said before, my house is not clean, but it is uncluttered. The problem is, I don't always remember where I hide things.

My dilemma, as I said, is I don't have enough room for everything, and the closets get the brunt of the abuse. I always get so excited when I clean one out and it looks so nice and organized. Every time I tell myself
"THIS TIME, IT'S GOING STAY THIS WAY!"
What a dreamer I am!!! How many of you know it NEVER does?


I find this to be true of the "closets" in my heart as well. Every so often, we need to do a thorough cleaning out of the junk we've let pile up and go unnoticed.
The Bible says in Psalm 51:10 - "Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me."
When the Holy Spirit convicts of sin, we need to repent right away, but there are always those things that slip through. Wrong attitudes, emotions, even sometimes wrong theology, are why we need to be evaluating our hearts.
Psalm 139:23-24 - "Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting"
And just like my closets at home, they will be clean for a little while, but they're not likely to stay that way unless you make a commitment to keep it.

As much as I don't like all the junk in my closet, I've learned to live with it. I can NOT, however, live with junk in my heart.

Ask yourself today if you need to do some cleaning - if so, pray like David in Psalm 139 and ask God to reveal any clutter in your heart & mind. Then let the Holy Spirit get you straight again.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent post. Yep I let the clutter in my closets and my hear pile up sometimes. Thanks for reminding me to get it taken care of.

    ReplyDelete