Friday, May 28, 2010

Let Us Remember


While we are excited about our long weekend "Memorial Day" plans, I do want to stop for a moment and reflect on what this Holiday is really about.

I read an article about a teacher who asked her class, "Why do we celebrate Memorial Day? Her students either didn't know, or even worse, they replied, "that's the day the pool opens". Shocked that the children thought the holiday was just to mark the beginning of Summer, she made a point of putting the "memorial" back in "Memorial Day".

This got me thinking...do MY kids even know what Monday's observance is all about? Or have I just focussed on the fact that they are out of school and the plans we've made? I'm embarrassed to say that I know the answer without even giving it much thought.

So, on behalf of my family, and my country, I want to say a HUGE thank you to all those who have served in any branch of the military. And for those of you who have lost a loved one while they were serving this Nation, I want to say "thank you" for their sacrafice & "I'm so sorry" for your loss.

With all the problems we face, and even with the many disagreements we have over political & social issues...in my opinion, we still live in the greatest Nation in the world! This is mostly due to our awesome men & women who give of themselves to protect & defend our freedom.

Hope you all have a wonderful, safe, & blessed Memorial Day weekend!

8 comments:

  1. Great post! I have a few people that I need to thank as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were just discussing that today. Letting our kids know why we celebrate memorial day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen! Have a blessed weekend & thank you for the post!
    Wylie

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have been talking to Princess about today as well.

    I hope you're having a blessed one!

    Love!
    b

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you have a great Memorial Day! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good post--good comment about making sure our children understand the meaning of the holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Angie,

    Thanks for being the newest follower of my blog. Your place is super cute! And I love the truth about women's weight gain. I'm going to have use that one b/c oh boy I'm smart. I look forward to learning more about you through your blog. Have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete