Sunday, December 20, 2009

Hard Holidays


For years I've heard the statistics about how difficult the holidays are for some people, and I never quite understood it. Christmas has always been my favorite time of the year. However, this will be my third Christmas my family will celebrate without my Mom, who passed away in June of 2007. Yesterday my dad hosted her side of the family's Christmas party at his house, in honor of my Mom. She always loved this time of year, and looked so forward to seeing her whole family. We had a great time, watching the kids play, opening presents, and catching up. We even found a bunch of old pictures and passed them around, laughing at how we've all changed and old hair doos that we now regret. Still, I know for myself, and I heard my brother say also, that even with all the laughter and fun times to be shared, it was still a reminder of our loss. I've come to completely understand how this time of year can be very hard.

My father-in-law lost his sister a couple of days ago. They had her funeral yesterday. My Dad's uncle, who was 88 yrs. old, also passed away two days ago. He will have to make a trip to Alabama for the funeral between now & Christmas. There is no "good" time to mourn the loss of a loved one; but somehow it seems to hit a little harder when it comes right before Christmas. I guess it's because we have a "picture perfect" idea of what Christmas should look like. Everyone happy, no one lonely, hurting, hungry, or without family. Unfortunately this is not reality for many people all over the world. I do praise God that it will be a reality one day for all of us who have received Jesus as our Lord and Savior.

So for all the single people, waiting for that special someone, for all those who
have endured financial, physical or emotional hardship throughout the year, and for those who have lost a loved one who will be greatly missed this Christmas - I pray that the words spoken by the angels when God gave us the greatest gift of all, through the birth of His Son, will gird you up with great grace & strength this Christmas..."glory to God in the highest, and on earth, peace and good will toward men" (Luke 2:14)

9 comments:

  1. My dad died two years ago and I still miss him. My husband's brother and parents died many years ago and he still feels their loss. Of course, time heals some so the loss isn't as fresh but it's still felt.

    I think holidays tend to make people feel more alone, so this is a difficult year for some people, which is why we need to keep them in our prayers.

    So sorry to hear about your fil's sister and your dad's uncle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for having such a caring heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dad passed away on Dec.2007, my mom on Dec.2000. My brothers and I kept saying it's not the same anymore, all those fun, loving memories we had shared with them kept coming back. It does hurt but at the same time, I find comfort from having those precious memories. Because they were made with love and that's what makes it special every time...So thankful that the Lord understands everything we go through as He came here and been there, too. Without the hope that He brought, there would be no Grand Reunion with lost loved ones to look forward to.

    Merry Christmas and God bless you richly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Friend. I am so sorry about the losses in both of your families recently! I'm also sorry I didn't get a chance to really chat with you today. We really need to get together sometime after Christmas. I miss you and Bobby!

    It is strange how Christmas makes pain seem so much bigger. I'm sure satan has something to do with that. I'm sure he would like to have our focus off of the celebration of the birth of Jesus. But it is true. We miss our loved ones on these family celebrations.

    (((hugs)))

    Love you.
    b

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm praying for you and your family. Thanks for being such an encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Angie, your post made me cry. Christmas can be a difficult time when we think of those no longer here to share the holidays with us. My father has been dead twenty-three years, and I still miss him so much.

    We are so blessed though to have our wonderful memories. Like the song says, when we all get to Heaven, what a day of rejoicing it will be.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Christmas has always been a joyous time for our family.... our whole big family. Yet this year, my grandfather has rather suddenly become very ill and we are not sure how much longer he has. We weren't sure he'd make it through the weekend... and as we get closer and closer to Christmas, I fear that it may be so close to Christmas that it's a constant reminder of a 'loss' instead of a joyous time. I pray for a recovery for him. We're just not ready to say goodbye yet. But God may be ready to greet him sooner than later.

    Thank you for sharing your heart with us today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Angie, I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your FIL's sister and your dad's uncle. This time of year is hard for some as they remember the ones that they loved that they have lost. I loved your compassionate heart in this post. It brought tears to my eyes. Thanks for sharing your heart.
    Christy

    ReplyDelete
  9. My mom and dad are gone now, and they are dearly missed, especially this time of year.

    Have a blessed Christmas Angie!

    ReplyDelete