Monday, November 2, 2009

I'm NOT smarter than a 5th grader!


Yes, I have to admit, I am NOT smarter than a 5th grader. Apparently, I'm not smarter than a 4th grader! Which is why I am no longer homeschooling my children, even though they ask me to almost every Monday morning when they don't want to go to school. I want to give a shout out to all the homeschool moms out there, you gals rock!


Okay, here's how I know that I'm not smarter than a 4th grader. My oldest son has always been so smart in almost every subject. My husband and I both admit we have NO idea where he gets it. One of his interests has always been geography. He has such a heart to travel. Unfortunately, our budget doesn't allow for much of that. I keep telling him that someday, maybe God will bless him to be able to go all over the world like he wants to.


In the meantime, he has been accepted to participate in a Geobee at school in December. This is how bad I was in school...I've never even HEARD of a Geobee. I've heard of a spelling bee (I never got to be in one of those either). A GeoBee is a geography bee that tests kids on their knowledge of continents, countries, capitals, topography, crops & industries, and so much more. I was very impressed. I told him, you are already a winner in my eyes for just being able to be a part of something like this.


The school sent home a list of websites that would be helpful in preparing for the GeoBee. This is where I found out my son is smarter than me. I decided to go to the website with him and check it out. (Go to http://nationalgeographic.com/geobee/ and test your knowledge of geography.) We sat there answering the questions on the test (multiple choice answers, so at least I had a little help). My son was getting almost all of the answers correct, while I was blown away with how much I don't know.


Of course if I want to feel better about myself (haha), I can always watch re-runs of the Tonight Show with Jay Leno when he used to do those "Jay Walk" episodes. Have you seen them? It's where he goes out on the streets and randomly picks people to answer some basic questions about politics, pop culture, American history, etc... It's really scary how little these people know! In this case, it's not about your I.Q., it's about being informed.


Never the less, I have a lot of work to do to keep up with my kids. I don't want them to think they know more than their mom...I heard that comes automatically when they are teenagers. (lol) Just kidding. I am very proud of my boys and I'll let you know how the GeoBee turns out in December.

4 comments:

  1. Ok, first that post about the boyfriend and husband was just too funny. I know what you mean about not being smarter than a 4th grader...I have one and her homework tonight threw me all crazy. I google whenever I can. :) It helps

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Loved the boyfriend/husband joke. For some reason, hubby didn't laugh as much as me when I read it to him!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. That first post is funny, and I enjoyed the video too!

    I hope you had a great time tonight, taking back Mondays! It makes a perfect game night.

    When the kids were little we had PE indoors sometimes. I bought a nerf ball and bat and we played baseball in the house. We also had a nerf football.

    We also bowled in the house with plastic pins. I had as much fun as the kids did.
    A favorite was dodge ball, where the kids would line up against the wall and I'd try to hit them with a nerf ball!

    We also use the treadmill at home (when the weather was bad). They also had PE at a homeschool co-op class.

    ReplyDelete