Thursday, November 17, 2011

Orderly Mess

Well, it's time for what has become my annual yard sale. Only this year I was too busy to do it in October as in years past, so it's this coming Saturday. Starting each Fall, I begin to feel like my house is closing in on me and I need to purge all the junk. I'm cleaning out the toys the kids NEVER play with (to make room for Christmas presents), and my closet from the clothes I could only hope to fit into again (let's face it, if I lose that kind of weight, I'm going to celebrate by buying new clothes!) 

This year I went a little overboard and decided to tackle the attic and my husband's shed (neither have been cleaned out in years). So it's out with the old and in with the new.

I had to store the stuff that I'm going to sell at the yard sale in my living room. Needless to say, my house is a mess right now! Coming from a person who likes everything in it's place, this has been a real struggle for me to walk past this mound of stuff. I feel like everything is out of order.

Just when I think it's all too much, I remind myself it's only temporary - this weekend it will all be out and hopefully sold. Then I can restore order in my home once again.

Honestly this experience has made me think about where I am in life right now. From the looks of things, it's a complete mess. The Lord is taking out all the junk and I know He's going to replace it with something new and beautiful. This mess that's all around me is just temporary and it's unto a purpose. It's a season where God is saying "don't look at the junk piling up, look at me, the one who can clean it out and trust that you'll come out profitable through it all." Life often looks the bleakest right before the "Son" comes out.

Thank God that He can and does make order out of my mess.

2 comments:

  1. Thankfully the Lord told us this in His word in Philippians 1:6 "Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ."

    It comforts me to know that what He's started in me He will complete.

    Good post. Thanks for this much needed reminder this morning. After beating myself up this morning for my mess-up last night, I really needed this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post gave me some good ideas on what I can go through to get ready for a yard sale next year. It's too cold now although holding the sale in my living room isn't a half bad idea! Very excited to find your blog and look forward to reading more posts!

    ReplyDelete